History of Rose Valley Friends Church
In 1924 evangelists Preston and Emma Mills held a series of meetings in Kelso. Later that year Northwest Yearly Meeting (at the time named Oregon Yearly Meeting) purchased property at 8th and Ayers in Kelso and a small building was constructed.
In 1934 the ministry began to take root in Rose Valley with the arrival of Oscar and Ruth Brown who began ministering to the needs of the Valley, performing weddings, funerals and offering Christian education. The church was built in 1939 and the Kelso work was closed. By 1942 the parsonage was finished.
In 1948 the church officially became Rose Valley Friends Church and Friends doctrine was stressed. On June 15, 1955. Rose Valley Friends became a full Monthly Meeting.
In 1959 George and Elenita Bales came and over their 20 year association with Rose Valley much changed; the church building was remodeled and significantly expanded, the original gym was lovingly built and rebuilt after the roof collapsed under a snow load. It became the center of activity for Rose Valley. Exceptional youth programs such as VBS and "Valley" ball involving hundreds of youth each year took place in the church gym. The building of a new parsonage gave pastors a comfortable and welcome place to live.
In 1991 the need for a new church was evident. The first service in the new building was held August 1, 1993. The building continues to meet the needs of Rose Valley Friends. With its completion we are able to offer a wonderful Day Care, Pre School and Pre K program to Rose Valley and surrounding areas.
In the late 1990's the parsonage was expanded and a second parsonage was built.
In 2011, the old beloved gym was in need of substantial repairs. The decicion was made to replace it with a new Gym that was completed and dedicated in June of 2012, as the new George Bales Community Center.